Thursday 23 July 2009

Ruddy combinations.....

Not posted for a while. Been up to my eyes in work, car breaking down and so on - you know, the usual. Haven't missed any training but the last three sessions we've been doing a lot of "combinations" which is exactly what it says really.
For example, in "line bashing"* a particular punch, followed by another type of punch, followed by a kick, followed by a different kick, and ending with a couple of the earlier punches - all in one action....for me, very hard and I have to say not my favourite part of training.
You have to REALLY focus on what you're doing and at the same time ensure that the technique and delivery of the punches and kicks are as strong as if you were actually fighting someone. Thirty minutes of this is very very tiring and I personally sweat buckets.
For some reason if I get even slightly distracted and spot someone out the corner of my doing it not quite right, I end up copying them and losing all orientation, what stance I'm in, whether I should be throwing a kick or a punch, facing in the wrong stances-I get in a right state.
I've found lately that I'm in line with a young lady whose stance in these combos aren't very long. So we when we've turned round (Mwatte) and I'm following her, I'm almost kicking her up the arse or punching her and then I have to shuffle backwards to give her a bit of a head start. Bless her.
Anyway, that's all for now, we have training tonight and at the moment I have a sore throat, a bit achey and feel like shite.....all I can think is sodding swine flu!


*"Line bashing" is my own term for when the "karateka" are all in a line across the dojo and, under the sensei's command we move forward, carrying out these combinations, basics etc otherwise known as "kihon".

No comments:

Post a Comment